Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Book Review: Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

Everything, Everything 
Author:  Nicola Yoon
Publisher:  Delacorte Books for Young Readers, 307 pages
Expected Publication Date:  September 1, 2015
*ARC received from publisher via NetGalley

From Goodreads:
My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.

But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He’s tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.

Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster.


Review:
I really enjoyed this book.  I was expecting a love story between a dying girl and a guy and that's not this book.  I mean, it sort of is but it's not.  

Beautiful writing, an amazing main character who just wants to live, really live, be a part of the world and experience everything she should.  Olly…loved this guy.  He wears all black, has his own family issues to deal with, and then he falls for Maddy, the girl who lives next door who can never come out of her house.  Loved their relationship, the e-mails, the instant messages, etc. 

The whole time I'm reading, there's this sense of foreboding, and then there's a HUGE TWIST and it took me completely by surprise.  I mean, jaw dropping, WHAT??????  

My one complaint is the open ending.  I wanted MORE.


Posted by:  Pam

4 comments:

  1. I have this to review, so I'm really excited to hear it was so good--especially because I practically begged for a copy. I'm totally intrigued, great review, Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds good and you definitely have me wanting to know about this crazy twist.... But at the same time, I really hate open endings so....worth it to deal w/the open ending?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this book SO much! Omg it's just beyond wonderful. The stylization and characters are amazing. Olly. <3 <3
    Can't wait for Nicola's next book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY! I loved this one too! Olly <3 <3 I too was reading with a sense of foreboding and did not see that ending coming AT ALL. But no complaints here :)

    ReplyDelete