Monday, March 2, 2015

Book Review: Becoming Rain by K.A. Tucker

Becoming Rain (Burying Water #2)
Author:  K.A. Tucker
Publisher:  Atria Books, 384 pages
Expected Publication Date:  March 3, 2015
*ARC received from publisher via NetGalley

From Goodreads:
Luke Boone doesn't know exactly what his uncle Rust is involved in but he wants in on it-the cars, the money, the women. And it looks like he's finally getting his wish. When Rust hands him the managerial keys to the garage, they come with a second set-one that opens up the door to tons of cash and opportunity. Though it's not exactly legal, Luke's never been one to worry about that sort of thing. Especially when it puts him behind the wheel of a Porsche 911 and onto the radar of gorgeous socialite named Rain.

Clara Bertelli is at the top of her game-at only twenty-six years old, she's one of the most successful undercover officers in the Washington D.C. major crime unit, and she's just been handed a case that could catapult her career and expose one of the west coast's most notorious car theft rings. But, in order to do it, she'll need to go deep undercover as Rain Martines. Her target? The twenty-four-year old nephew of a key player who appears ready to follow in his uncle's footsteps.

As Clara drifts deeper into the luxurious lifestyle of Rain, and further into the arms of her very attractive and charming target, the lines between right and wrong start to blur, making her wonder if she'll be able to leave it all behind. Or if she'll even want to.

Review:
Becoming Rain was a bit of a mixed bag for me.  I was impressed with K.A. Tucker's ability to make me like Luke, a guy who really wasn't all that likable.  But I came to care for him over the course of the novel.  And I liked the gray and morally ambiguous characters.  Luke didn't seem to really care that what he was doing was against the law; he actually wanted to be a bigger part of his uncle's illegal business (at least, at first).  And Rain (a.k.a. Clara), although she was a police officer and supposedly a "good" person, did some pretty iffy things.  I did enjoy the progression of their relationship and I found myself emotionally invested in their relationship.

However, the whole car theft ring part of it was actually pretty boring and I found myself skimming the pages to focus on the relationship between Luke and Rain.  And the car theft ring was a big part of the novel.  

Somewhat entertaining, but a little boring in parts.  Not one of my favorites, to be honest.

Posted by:  Pam

5 comments:

  1. Great review. Sorry you didn't love it. I haven';t had a chance to read this series yet.

    I just wanted to stop in and say hi! I'm a new follower of your blog :)

    I love the look and feel of it. The swirls are so pretty.


    Michelle @ Book Briefs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to read a K.A. Tucker novel, maybe one day soon but I think I'll skip this one. Thanks for the review and the heads up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! I'm so sad that this was boring for you. :( I still need to read Burying Water, but I liked the sound of this one.
    I hope your next read is better, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meh. I haven't heard of this one, and it definitely doesn't sound worth picking up. I hate it when a main plot point is boring. Hope your next read is better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm this one wan't really on my radar to begin with and even though I am a fan of morally ambiguous characters your lukewarm feelings aren't compelling me to read this one... (not that I need any more books on my TBR)

    ReplyDelete