Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Book Review: Every Breath by Ellie Marney

Every Breath (Every #1)
Author:  Ellie Marney
Publisher:  Tundra Books, 352 pages
Publication Date:  October 14, 2014

From Goodreads:
When James Mycroft drags Rachel Watts off on a night mission to the Melbourne Zoo, the last thing she expects to find is the mutilated body of Homeless Dave, one of Mycroft's numerous eccentric friends. But Mycroft's passion for forensics leads him to realize that something about the scene isn't right--and he wants Watts to help him investigate the murder.

While Watts battles her attraction to bad-boy Mycroft, he's busy getting himself expelled and clashing with the police, becoming murder suspect number one. When Watts and Mycroft unknowingly reveal too much to the cold-blooded killer, they find themselves in the lion's den--literally. A trip to the zoo will never have quite the same meaning to Rachel Watts again…


Review:
I loved this clever and inventive teenage Sherlock and Holmes story.  I was drawn in by the characters and the mystery of the murder of homeless Dave.  Rachel Watts is a phenomenal main character.  She's strong and smart, but struggling a bit with living in the city after growing up on a farm and all she wants is to be back in the country.  James Mycroft is her neighbor and best friend, a genius with a troubled past.  He's eccentric, has a passion for forensics and becomes obsessed with solving the murder of Dave.  How can you not fall in love with Mycroft? (By the way, I don't know if I've ever read a book where I felt like I got to know the guy as well as I feel like I know Mycroft without it being dual POV.  Just by his words and actions.  That's impressive).

The plot is interesting and fast paced, but it's the characters that make this book stand out.  The relationship between Mycroft and Watts…a perfect best-friends-turned-to-love story.  I loved how comfortable they were with each other.  They were truly best friends.  Their conversations, their interactions, their banter…loved loved loved everything about their relationship.  I shipped them so hard!  So. Many. Feels. I could feel the tension and the sparks between them, I could see the look on Mycroft's face, feel the flutter in Rachel's stomach.  What a perfect YA romance.

Brilliantly written, I highly recommend this one.  And just to let you know how much I loved this book, I borrowed it from the library, but when I finished, I ordered a hardback copy. Then I ordered the next book from Fishpond because it's not out yet in the US.  And it's not because it's a cliffhanger ending (the story wraps up completely) but just because I want more of Watts and Mycroft!


Posted by:  Pam

4 comments:

  1. Sounds really interesting. I'm adding this one to my Goodreads. I love a good mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What if Sherlock Holmes was the boy next door? Oh, that intrigues me!

    I'm glad you enjoyed this one so much! I love me a good mystery so I'll definitely be checking it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It makes me so happy that you enjoyed this! It's definitely one of my favorites of the year. And I agree - it's the perfect example of an awesome YA romance. I am dying for the third book!!!! (I already read book 2 - it's even better than the first, if you can believe it. :) )

    Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oo I like Sherlock Holmes themed books! And which such high praise I will have to read this one. And I am guessing Every Word, which I keep seeing around, is book 2?

    ReplyDelete