Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Book Review: Captive by Aimee Carter

Captive (The Blackcoat Rebellion #2)
Author:  Aimee Carter
Publisher:  Harlequin Teen, 304 pages
Publication Date:  November 25, 2014
*ARC received by publisher via NetGalley

From Goodreads:
For the past two months, Kitty Doe's life has been a lie. Forced to impersonate the Prime Minister's niece, her frustration grows as her trust in her fake fiancé cracks, her real boyfriend is forbidden and the Blackcoats keep her in the dark more than ever.

But in the midst of discovering that her role in the Hart family may not be as coincidental as she thought, she's accused of treason and is forced to face her greatest fear: Elsewhere. A prison where no one can escape.

As one shocking revelation leads to the next, Kitty learns the hard way that she can trust no one, not even the people she thought were on her side. With her back against the wall, Kitty wants to believe she'll do whatever it takes to support the rebellion she believes in—but is she prepared to pay the ultimate price?


Review:
Action action action!  Most of the book takes place in Elsewhere, which is not just where people are hunted, it's basically a community where horrific things happen.  There are many surprises and twists and turns in this book and I couldn't put it down.  

Knox is my favorite character, mostly because he's complicated and unpredictable. Is he good?  Is he bad?  Does he have feelings for Kitty at all?  Can she trust him?  There were definitely some jaw dropping moments involving Knox.

Kitty…she's a bit frustrating.  She makes the typical YA heroine mistakes, not thinking things through, reacting, trusting the wrong people, being easily deceived, etc.  But her heart is in the right place and by the end of the book you can see how she's starting to become the badass she needs to be.  

My main complaint about the book is Kitty's relationship with Benjy.  I still don't feel like I know Benjy.  At all.  His character only seems to be important because he motivates Kitty.  He says the exact right things all the time.  I love you, I'll do whatever you want, I trust you.  He's too good to be true, which means he doesn't feel real.  So I'm not shipping this romance.

Fast-paced, intense, and filled with political intrigue, I really enjoyed Captive!


Posted by:  Pam

2 comments:

  1. Nice review. I have this and need to hurry up and get to it. I enjoyed the first one but I wasn't the biggest fan. I'm curious to see where the sequel goes. I don't know how I feel about the romance yet, but maybe this book will help me make up my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to hear that Captive did not suffer form MBS! I have every intention of reading Pawn one of these days.

    ReplyDelete