Monday, July 21, 2014

Book Review: Flat-Out Celeste by Jessica Park

Flat-Out Celeste (Flat-Out Love #2)
Author:  Jessica Park
Publisher:  Self-published, 273 pages
Publication Date:  May 22, 2014

From Goodreads:
For high-school senior Celeste Watkins, every day is a brutal test of bravery. And Celeste is scared. Alienated because she’s too smart, her speech too affected, her social skills too far outside the norm, she seems to have no choice but to retreat into isolation.

But college could set her free, right? If she can make it through this grueling senior year, then maybe. If she can just find that one person to throw her a lifeline, then maybe, just maybe.

Justin Milano, a college sophomore with his own set of quirks, could be that person to pull her from a world of solitude. To rescue her—that is, if she’ll let him.

Together, they may work. Together, they may save each other. And together they may also save another couple—two people Celeste knows are absolutely, positively flat-out in love.


Review (No Spoilers for Flat-Out Love):
I just want to gush about this author and this series.  The feels.  The feels!  I had a smile on my face pretty much the whole time (except when I was practically in tears). Flat-Out Celeste is absolutely adorable and I loved every single word.  I could just include quote after quote instead of writing a review.  

It's five years later (from Flat-Out Love) and Celeste is still her smart, funny, and quirky self. For those of you who haven't read Flat-Out Love, Celeste is a secondary character in that book.  She has zero social skills,no friends, and she has difficulty connecting with anyone other than her family.  She just wants to get through high school and go to college.  She seems to think everything will magically change in college.  She receives an e-mail from Justin, who's a student liaison at a school in California that's trying to recruit Celeste.  They start e-mailing and develop a friendship and Justin visits quite a bit (loved the e-mails and texts between them…so cute).  

Celeste…oh Celeste.  I loved her so much.  She's painfully aware of her social awkwardness and she honestly can't believe anyone would like her given all of her quirks (for example, when she's feeling anxious, which is most of the time, she doesn't use contractions).  She's such a good person and my heart ached for her after all she's been through.  And Justin…he's perfect for her.  He's a little odd himself.  He babbles, he's clumsy, he's cute, and he gets Celeste in a way no way has before. Loved him!!  Their conversations…I couldn't stop smiling.  Although the focus is on their romance (and it's so so adorable), it's also about accepting who you are, and celebrating being different. What a great message.

“You are who you are. Don't be ashamed of yourself. At all. Surround yourself with people who cheer you on.”

“To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”

“I want to destroy anyone who has hurt you for a dumb reason like just being yourself. What? Do we want the entire universe made up of people who are all clones of each other? How damn boring would that be? You know the expression that love makes the world go ‘round? That might be true, but love comes from the way differences interact. How personalities interact. How we bounce off of each other, challenge each other, and how we push and pull. It’s through those tensions that we connect with others and with ourselves. And it’s how we fall in love. Because there is magic in diversity. Without the Celestes, the world wouldn’t go ‘round. Do you see that?”


I know I haven't adequately expressed how much this book (and Flat-Out Love) touched my heart, but all I can say is READ IT!!!!


Posted by:  Pam

8 comments:

  1. I didn't realize there was a sequel to Flat Out Love (haven't read that one yet, but on my list). This sounds so good! Those quotes are amazing and are totally making me want to grab these books right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, read Flat Out Love!!!! I think you will love it. ~Pam

      Delete
  2. I haven't picked this one up yet because I'm so MAD at the author for what she does with Julie and Matty's story. It seems so unnecessary and just plain stupid. So. Even though Justin and Celeste sound adorable, I just don't know if I'm gonna put in the effort to read it - it seems to much like rewarding the author, if that makes sense. :/ Glad you loved it though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you have to read it, you will be happy with what happens. I felt the same way at first, I was like, WHAT? But just wait…I guarantee you will be happy. ~Pam

      Delete
  3. ahhh I still need to read Flat Out Love but I WILL read it so I am glad to see you enjoyed this sequel (companion?).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sort of a companion because the focus is on a secondary character, but also a sequel because you see the main characters again. But mostly a companion. Read Flat Out Love!!! ~Pam

      Delete
  4. Ok. I haven't read this series yet even though I have the first book on my Kindle. It's not a review book, so it just got pushed back. I'll have to get to it sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, read Flat Out Love, I highly recommend it! I've read it a couple of times just because I loved it so much. ~Pam

      Delete