Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Book Review: Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins

Rebel Belle
Author:  Rachel Hawkins
Publisher:  Putnam Juvenile, 384 pages
Publication Date:  April 8, 2014

From Goodreads:
Harper Price, peerless Southern belle, was born ready for a Homecoming tiara. But after a strange run-in at the dance imbues her with incredible abilities, Harper's destiny takes a turn for the seriously weird. She becomes a Paladin, one of an ancient line of guardians with agility, super strength and lethal fighting instincts.

Just when life can't get any more disastrously crazy, Harper finds out who she's charged to protect: David Stark, school reporter, subject of a mysterious prophecy and possibly Harper's least favorite person. But things get complicated when Harper starts falling for him--and discovers that David's own fate could very well be to destroy Earth.


Review:
This book was so much fun, it reminded me of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.  It's light and fluffy and Harper is hilarious.  I laughed out loud so many times in this book.  

"I needed my mentor-person right now.  I had figured out as much as I possibly could, so it was time for my Giles or my Professor X or whoever to get here and start explaining."

Cheerleader and student body president, Harper is a good Southern girl who finds herself with ninja-like powers and having to protect her nemesis, David.  The tension between them, the banter…so well done.  The story is interesting, Harper's inner monologue perfectly displays her personality, and the romance is cute cute cute.  A contemporary with a dash of paranormal mixed in, I really enjoyed it.  


Posted by:  Pam

14 comments:

  1. I have mine on hold at the library! Cool Review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a fun read, hope you enjoy it! ~Pam

      Delete
  2. I have been really on the fence about this one. Not sure if it's for me. I've heard good things so far, but I don't know the synopsis just isn't catching my attention. What do you think? Should I read it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's light and fluffy so I'm not sure if you would like it. Are you a Buffy fan? If so, I recommend. It reads more like a contemporary than a paranormal. I thought it was a lot of fun. ~Pam

      Delete
  3. I keep having to stop reading this one while I finish tour books, but so far it has been super fun! I totally agree with your review. And yes, I've cracked up a ton - such as that part where she tries to slap David and then goes and slaps her friend's boyfriend instead. Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many funny scenes and funny lines and funny inner monologue. I've never read Rachel Hawks before, but I've had Hex Hall on my kindle for forever. I'll probably read that soon now that I enjoyed this one so much. Glad you're enjoying it too! ~Pam

      Delete
  4. Yay I am so glad you liked this! I agree with everything - it made me laugh, smile, excited. AND THAT ENDING! I cannot wait for the next one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, agreed, can't wait for the next one and see how it all works out. What a triangle!!! ~Pam

      Delete
  5. Happy you enjoyed this one and that it's a fun read, makes me super tempted to give it a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh this looks fun! I think I want to wait and read more of this series together, because I preferred that with this author's other one. But I like her light and fun style and her romantic tension.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After reading this, I read the Hex Hall series, which I enjoyed too. Love her writing style, the banter, the snark, and the romantic tension. So much fun! ~Pam

      Delete
  7. I enjoyed Harper so much. I found little bits of myself in her which was a little creepy to be honest, haha. And the part of her needing to find her mentor was hilarious. I'm glad you enjoyed it, Pam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were so many funny parts to this book I could have included so many quotes. Harper was hilarious! ~Pam

      Delete