Thursday, November 14, 2013

Book Review: Wither by Lauren DeStefano

Wither (The Chemical Garden #1)
Author:  Lauren DeStefano
Publisher:  Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers, 358 pages
Publication Date:  March 22, 2011

From Goodreads:
By age sixteen, Rhine Ellery has four years left to live. She can thank modern science for this genetic time bomb. A botched effort to create a perfect race has left all males with a lifespan of 25 years, and females with a lifespan of 20 years. Geneticists are seeking a miracle antidote to restore the human race, desperate orphans crowd the population, crime and poverty have skyrocketed, and young girls are being kidnapped and sold as polygamous brides to bear more children. 

When Rhine is kidnapped and sold as a bride, she vows to do all she can to escape. Her husband, Linden, is hopelessly in love with her, and Rhine can’t bring herself to hate him as much as she’d like to. He opens her to a magical world of wealth and illusion she never thought existed, and it almost makes it possible to ignore the clock ticking away her short life. But Rhine quickly learns that not everything in her new husband’s strange world is what it seems. Her father-in-law, an eccentric doctor bent on finding the antidote, is hoarding corpses in the basement. Her fellow sister wives are to be trusted one day and feared the next, and Rhine is desperate to communicate to her twin brother that she is safe and alive. Will Rhine be able to escape--before her time runs out?

Together with one of Linden's servants, Gabriel, Rhine attempts to escape just before her seventeenth birthday. But in a world that continues to spiral into anarchy, is there any hope for freedom?


Review:
I was disappointed by this book.  Although this is a dystopian, you don't really get to see much about the world since there's such a narrow focus to the book.  The whole book takes place in a mansion where Rhine has been kidnapped to be one of three wives to Linden.  So we learn about clueless Linden (who I think we're supposed to feel bad for but he's 21 years old having sex with a 13 year old--ugh) and Rhine's sister wives, Cecily and Jenna.  It reads more like a book about polygamy with some evil weirdness thrown in.

And the world-building, don't get me started. Where is the government?  I guess it makes sense that if almost everyone is under 25 there wouldn't be anyone in charge, but then you do have the first generation, who are around 70 so I would assume they would take over.  And there are people who are working, building mini-malls, doing research to figure out how to cure the virus, etc.  So I was just confused about this world.  They seem very focused on having babies, but why?  If they need the babies for testing purposes, that makes sense, but that doesn't seem to be it.  I would expect the government to be forcing girls to have babies and taking them away to test them to figure things out.  But that's not what's happening, people just seem to be having babies.  What?  And apparently there was a big war and the only continent left standing is America.  I would give you more information about that, but that's the only information that is given in the book.  What?  



And then there's Gabriel, the servant who is the love interest for Rhine.  I just never felt like I got to know him, and he was just a bit blah.  And not a lot happens in the book plot-wise, to be honest.  I was actually a bit bored.  I thought the premise (everyone dying so young) was intriguing, but in the end, it was just...meh. 





Posted by:  Pam

12 comments:

  1. Bummer that you didn't like this one. I read it a long time ago (before I started blogging) and enjoyed it. But who knows? Maybe if I reread it now, my opinion would be different. That happens to me a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the concept was so good but I just didn't like it. I was tempted to read the next one just in case it got better, but then I decided that there are just too many books to read. ~Pam

      Delete
  2. But the cover is pretty!

    Honestly, I had a lot of the same issues you did (and a few others). But, I did read on and enjoy the story. It was weird, quirky, and did a lot of things that other authors weren't doing. Plus, I borrowed the books so I didn't really invest anything other than time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was definitely different and I wanted to like it, but I just didn't. Oh well! ~Pam

      Delete
  3. I have some friends who have loved this series, but I'm very nervous about the polygamy aspect. I'm not sure whether I can stomach that. And a lack of good world building is also a turnoff. Still not sure if I'll try this one out or not. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be interested to read your thoughts on this book if you read it. I just thought it had such promise. ~Pam

      Delete
  4. Yeah. This was one that I didn't really care for. It was rather dark and depressing and people using others for their own purposes - I felt that was kind of how Rhine is with Gabriel, using him. I didn't read the next book after this one and I'm not really planning on it.

    Tressa @ Tressa's Wishful Endings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. I had all three books from the library and it felt so weird to return the second and third without reading them, but I just couldn't bring myself to continue with the series. ~Pam

      Delete
  5. I have seen so many people who love this series, but I had a lot of the same thoughts as you. I borrowed it from the library as the concept was really interesting and sounded like it could be a great read. But I just ended up feeling it was meh, I quite enjoyed it but it did not make me need to read on and see what happened next. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, I returned the second and third book to the library without reading them. It was hard to do, but there's so many books to read (and so many series) that I just decided not to continue on. ~Pam

      Delete
  6. Aw i'm sorry you didn't like this one. I do understand your frustrations though. It was definitely more character-driven than plot-driven but I loved the characters DeStefano created. And the relationship between the wives was really special.

    Just FYI, Wither was my favorite of the three books. If you didn't like this one, I am not sure you will like the others. They don't answer the nagging questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess if I had known before, maybe my expectations would have been different and that may have made a difference.

      I'm not planning on reading the next ones and especially if Wither was the best of the three! :) ~Pam

      Delete